How to map drives to SharePoint after Internet Explorer 11 expires
Some SharePoint purists advocate exclusively working directly within the SharePoint’s web UI. But Microsoft has always known that a significant number of organizations and users either want or literally need to be able to access files through File Explorer. Ever since SharePoint Online has been around, Microsoft has offered a simple option for users to do this. They’ve given users the ability to map SharePoint drives in File Explorer via Internet Explorer 11 (IE11).
It’s an exciting time for Internet Explorer though. After many years of loyal service it’s nearly finally able to put its slippers on and go into permanent retirement.
But what does that mean for you and your drives? Internet Explorer’s replacement, Microsoft Edge, does not provide SharePoint drive mapping capabilities.
So what should you do?
Mapping drives to SharePoint without Internet Explorer
In truth, while the IE approach has been an easy and free option for mapping drives to SharePoint, it has never been the best option. The same is true of drives mapped via scripts, which often leverage the same IE technology. The drives created through these manual and scripted methods can be temperamental. And since there is nothing to manage the connection they create, when they fail they have to be manually (regularly) re-established.
Cloud Drive Mapper changes the game
Cloud Drive Mapper (CDM) makes mapping drives to Microsoft 365 and SharePoint Online a no-brainer. Not only does it create persistent drives that auto-restore from sleep, disconnection and a variety of other interruptions, it also doesn’t rely on Internet Explorer.
It is also much more easily centrally administered than the manual and scripted approaches too, so it’s a powerful tool for IT teams to be able to easily provision drives to their users.
Here are some of the benefits of using Cloud Drive Mapper to map drives to SharePoint (and Teams and OneDrive):
- Being able to save directly to SharePoint from any application (even legacy Desktop apps)
- It’s quicker and easier to navigate directories and organize files, keeping users fully productive
- Users can create Desktop shortcuts to favourite files and folders to further increase productivity
- It’s much easier to open multiple files at the same time
- It’s a familiar experience for users of any IT level, reducing friction with users and the need for any training
At the same time Cloud Drive Mapper doesn’t necessarily replace the SharePoint Online UI, so that for certain tasks which have been designed within SharePoint, the web-UI is still a great complimentary option. It’s not one or the other, it’s often both.
And, regardless of whether in the File Explorer view or the web-UI, with Cloud Drive Mapper you can still benefit from SharePoint’s powerful benefits, such as:
- Dynamic permissions and Microsoft-grade cloud security
- Full support for Azure MFA and Azure AD conditional access
- Co-authoring of Office documents
- Check-in check-out for conflict management
- Version control
- Data backups and multi-tiered recycle-bins
- Minimisation of on-prem data footprint
- Reduced costs of network storage
How to map network drives to SharePoint Online using Cloud Drive Mapper
Why Cloud Drive Mapper?
- Cloud Drive Mapper (CDM) is an enterprise-grade application with an expert team of engineers available to help with configuration, deployment and troubleshooting.
- It’s robust and trusted by millions of users across thousands of organizations all over the world.
- IAM Cloud are longstanding Microsoft Gold Partners, a former Microsoft Worldwide Partner of the Year, and ISO27001 certified for information security.
- Cloud Drive Mapper is supported across a range of environments including Windows and Windows Server. CDM is also compatible with VDI & VAI environments, including Citrix, RDS and VMWare.
- CDM is a simple yet powerful solution that’s easy to manage, reliable and affordable. It’s especially affordable considering you can significantly reduce your local storage server costs with CDM + Microsoft 365.
- Cloud Drive Mapper maps drives to OneDrive for Business, SharePoint Online and Microsoft Teams for full Microsoft365 storage integration.
- CDM has a range of useful added features for both end-users and IT admins.
- And to reiterate one final time… no reliance on Internet Explorer!